To be honest I'm not a massive fan of incorporating too much nationalist or patriotic paraphernalia into interior design schemes as it can be a little overbearing. However, when used sparingly as statement pieces I have to admit it can look quite striking.

I do have a bit of a penchant for blue, red and white used together so when I saw these new rugs by Hill & Co I was quite excited. If used correctly and accessorised well they would make a stunning centre piece in an otherwise quite minimalist room.

There seems to be quite a few products coming onto the market of late that incorporate flags or destinations. I've seen quite a few Union Jack cushions recently too. The more I think about it the more I'm starting to like this trend.

I particularly like Jan Constantine's Pop Art Collection of union jack soft furnishings and accessories. As long as the decoration in the room is kept plain and simple these really make a statement.

Another of my favourite Union Jack products that I have seen over the past year is this sofa by French company Tao Jasmin. It may possibly not be the most comfortable sofa for a residential interior but it would make a striking addition to an entrance hall, lobby or waiting room perhaps.

And it's not just the living room that can get a Great British makeover either. The trend has also spread to home appliances over the last few years.

Falcon's 1092 range cooker proudly features the Union Jack design as does Smeg's Fab fridge.